Get Paid for Solar Offset Credits Generated by Your Solar PV System!
As a solar generator in Alberta, you are entitled to sell the carbon offset credits generated from your solar electricity generation. Making and selling these credits is simple – and an ultra-low risk way to boost your solar revenues.
EQUS is proud to partner with Rewatt Power to offer EQUS members access to their Alberta Solar Offset Credits program. This powerful, proven program allows EQUS members who are micro-generators to improve the return on their solar investments by selling their carbon offset credits.
EQUS Helps Members Finance Solar PV Units
EQUS members have the option to request financing for solar installation costs. Subject to approved credit, members may receive $1,500 per kW installed, up to $15,000 total financing per EQUS service.
There are a number of government programs that are accepting applications for funding. If you are considering a new solar installation please take a moment to review each program to see which one you can maximize. Please note that if you have participated in one program will not qualify for rebates from another government funded program for the same project.
EQUS Offers Incentives for Solar PV Units
Currently, nearly 50 EQUS members are micro-generators. Like our members, EQUS is committed to being a steward in the field of micro-generation, and we even boast our own solar PV unit on the top of our Innisfail office. To further support micro-generation efforts, EQUS provides financing options and incentives to members who become solar PV micro-generators.
EQUS will provide $0.10/W of solar PV installed to a maximum of $500 (5 kW). This is capped at $10,000 total for EQUS.
EQUS members also have the option to request financing for solar installation costs. Subject to approved credit, members may receive $1,500 per kW installed, up to $15,000 total financing per EQUS service. This is capped at $300,000 total for EQUS.
To take advantage of these incentives, EQUS members starting the micro-generation process should contact their Area Office, and Area Service Administrators will advise members of these incentives and applicable Government of Alberta grants.
Incentives will be received when work orders are complete and the service is installed.
Solar Frequently Asked Questions
Does EQUS provide an incentive for my solar PV installation?
Yes, EQUS will provide $0.10/W of solar PV installed to a maximum of $500 (5kW). Limited amount of funding for disbursement each year.
Does EQUS provide financing for my solar PV installation?
Yes. EQUS will provide financing of $1500 per kW installed, up to a maximum of $15,000 per service (account) as an EQUS loan. Payments will be included with your EQUS monthly bill.
Does this EQUS incentive and loan apply to any other alternative energy option such as wind or biogas as defined in the microgeneration legislation?
No. Solar PV is the most cost-effective technology at this time for the smaller installations defined by the microgeneration legislation. Of the EQUS member microgen installations that are currently in the EQUS service area, 95% of these are solar. The other 5% is wind. As the technology changes over time, EQUS will monitor and change with it.
I want the EQUS incentive applied to my installation but I want to install myself or have a supplier of my choice?
All solar PV microgeneration installations will be able to apply for the EQUS incentive. They will also be eligible for the financing that EQUS can provide if requested.
I installed my system last year, can I get the EQUS incentive?
The EQUS offering is not retroactive for previous installations. The incentive may change in future years.
Is the EQUS funding available for an addition to my existing solar installation?
Can I stage my total installation over 3 years? Install 3kW one year and 2kW the next year and get the full $500 funding in the first year?
You can stage your installation but you only get EQUS grant money for whatever is installed during the install year. As well to note that it is more expensive to stage this especially on such a small installation.
What if I want the system removed from my house/barn because I am not happy with the production of electricity or the savings to my electricity bill. Can I get my money back?
If I have 2 EQUS services and I want a 5kW solar installation on both sites can I get 2 EQUS grants, 1 for each site?
I’m thinking of making additions or changes to my Microgen system. Does EQUS need to be notified?
Yes, You need to notify EQUS any time you make changes to your Microgen system (including added Capacity, changes to the inverter, etc). EQUS may request additional documentation, such as a new Single Line Diagram or a revised Microgen Operating Agreement.